Have you ever dreamed of a kid-free cruise vacation?
We know you love your children, but what couple doesn’t want to get away and enjoy adult-only time? Well, Virgin Voyages is hoping to cater to your desires with a cruise line meant only for adults.
This month, Virgin Voyages laid the keel for the first of three ships in its new line of adults-only cruise ships. The new line is called Lady Ships, and they will all have silver and red coloring and feature a red-haired mermaid logo featured on the ship’s hull.
Virgin Empire mogul Richard Branson says that travelers will “be sailing on the latest ships offering a great quality, a real sense of fun and many exciting activities all delivered with the famed Virgin service.”
Random Factoids about Virgin’s New Fleet
What sets a Lady Ship cruise apart from the others:
- Virgin decided to create this adults-only fleet based on input from travelers and travel-industry experts.
- Virgin has promised to be environmentally friendly with the Lady Ships. The company is partnering with Climeon, who will transform wasted heat back into energy.
- Former Disney Cruise Line president Tom McAlpin will be in charge of the new fleet. Virgin is partnering with Bain Capital, a private investment firm, to fund the project.
- The recent keel-laying ceremony harkens back to ancient times, when shipbuilders laid the ship’s backbone as the start of the building process.
- The Lady Ships will have 399 sections, and newly minted coins were added to the new keel as good luck charms.
- Around 90% of cabins have ocean views and 80% feature a terrace
- Over 1,000 crew members to reside on the ship and service “sailors”
The Maiden Voyage
The ship will set sail beginning in 2020 from Miami to the Caribbean.
You can reserve your spot for a future cruise with a deposit of $500 now. This deposit guarantees you a spot in the pre-sale, and you’ll be notified when the pre-sale opens. It will apply toward your cabin booking and is fully refundable.
Things to Remember
Regardless of whether you end up trying out Virgin’s new ship or opt for another cruise line altogether, it’s important to remember these tips to stay safe whenever you are on a cruise.
Don’t get too comfortable. Yes, it’s vacation. You’re enjoying the warm ocean breezes, great food, and adult beverages. However, that’s when you may be more susceptible to injury than normal. Watch your step, walk in the light, and don’t allow a stranger to hand you a drink. You’ve still got to keep your personal safety in mind.
Keep valuables locked up. Try to leave your high-dollar items at home, but if you must bring anything valuable, keep it in the ship’s safe rather than your cabin safe. It’s too easy to forget and leave them behind.
Mind your health. Your food allergies will still be active, and if you take prescription medication, you’ll need to keep the same schedule. Don’t let a slip-up spoil your trip.
If you have any questions about cruise safety, give us a call.
About the Author:
Andrew Winston is a partner at the personal injury law firm of Winston Law. For over 20 years, he has successfully represented cruise victims who have suffered all kinds of injuries and illnesses due to negligence. He has been recognized for excellence in the representation of injured clients by admission to the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, is AV Preeminent Rated by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, enjoys a 10.0 rating by AVVO as a Top Personal Injury Attorney, has been selected as a Florida “SuperLawyer” from 2011-2017 – an honor reserved for the top 5% of lawyers in the state – and was voted to Florida Trend’s ”Legal Elite” and as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Florida and one of the Top 100 Lawyers in the Miami area for 2015, 2016, and 2017.